The Bullitt County History Museum

Bullitt County Triangulation Points

According to Triangulation in West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri by A. L. Baldwin, [Special Publication No. 30 of Department of Commerce, U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey; Washington: Government Printing Office, 1915, pages 55-57] the following ten Bullitt County locations were identified as specific points geographically to be used for purposes of map triangulation.

The dates and initials given in each description immediately after the county refer to the date of establishment of the station, the man by whom it was established, and the date when the station was last visited. The book does not specifically identify the men involved.

The descriptions below are taken directly from this book. Minor spelling errors have not been corrected. Finally, below the descriptions is a map showing these locations.

Principal Points

Mountain Top (Bullitt County, Ky., C. S., 1880).--On the top of the most easterly high point of a hill known as Dawsons Knob, which is on the south side of the Salt River between Bardstown Junction on the east and Pitts Point on the west, the latter place being at the junction of Salt River and Rolling Fork. The station is about 9 meters south of the road along the top of the ridge on land belonging to W. H. Holsklaw. It is marked by a granite post 2.8 feet long dressed to 4 inches square at the top and marked with a cross and the letters U. S. C. G. S. The underground mark is a glass bottle filled with ashes 3.1 feet below the ground. Three reference marks, each consisting of a granite post 2 feet long dressed to 4 inches square at the top and marked with a diagonal cross with an arrowhead at the end of one diagonal pointing toward the station, are 1.83 meters from the station north, east, south, and west (magnetic), respectively.

Dobbins (Bullitt County, Ky., J. F. P., 1883).--About 3 miles southwest of Belmont furnace and 1 mile southwest of the house of Joseph L. Dobbins, on the highest knob in the vicinity, on land belonging to the Tilden brothers. The station is marked by an iron bolt set in a drill hole in a bowlder about 3 inches below the surface of the ground. The bolt projects 4 inches above the surface of the bowlder and there is a pile of stones built around and over it. There are three reference marks, each consisting of a bowlder with an inscribed arrow pointing toward the station, 1.83 meters from the station north, east, and south, respectively.

Jackson (Bullitt County, Ky., J. F. P., 1883).--About 7 miles from Bardstown Junction and about 1 1/4 miles east of Big Springs station on the Bardstown branch of the Louisville & Nashville Railroad, on land belonging to Dora Jackson, on the top of a rounded knob about one-fourth mile to the northward of his house. The station is marked by a half-inch drill hole in the upper surface of a small bowlder which projects slightly above the surface of the ground. The underground mark is the center of the mouth of a stone jug 5 inches in diameter and 11 inches high 1 foot below the ground. There is a pile of stones over the station mark. Three reference marks, each consisting of a bowlder with an arrow pointing toward the station chiseled in its upper surface, are 1.83 meters form the station north, east, and south, respectively.

Supplementary Points

Cedar Glade (Bullitt County, Ky., J. F. P., 1883).--About 5 1/4 miles from Mount Washington village, on land belonging to H. H. Swieringen on the highest point of an elongated hill about 1 1/4 miles from his house. Cedar Glade schoolhouse is on the south end of the same hill, about one-eighth mile from the station. The station is marked by a drill hole in a stone about 14 inches below the surface of the ground and by a pile of earth and stones around the base of the signal pole.

Mount Washington Church Spire (Bullitt County, Ky., J. F. P., 1883).--The white spire on the red brick Baptist Church in Mount Washington village.

Bardstown Junction Methodist Church (Bullitt County, Ky., J. F. P., 1883).--The very small spire of the only Methodist church in Bardstown Junction. The church is a small wooden structure.

Dry Knob (Bullitt County, Ky., J. F. P., 1883).--On the northwest side of a clearing on the top of Dry Knob, on land belonging to Henry Trunnel, of Bardstown Junction. The station is a pole in the top of a hickory tree marked with a triangular blaze. Three other small trees marked with triangular blazes are at the following distances and directions from the station: Red oak, 6.86 meters N. 6 degrees W.; red oak, 7.32 meters S. 80 degrees W.; and a hickory tree, 6.71 meters N. 70 degrees W.

Indian Knob (Bullitt County, Ky., J. F. P., 1883).--About 1 1/4 miles south-southwest of Bardstown Junction on the summit of a conspicuous knob known locally as Indian Knob. The station is a pole in the top of a pine tree marked with a triangular blaze. Three other trees, each marked with a blaze and nails, are at the following distances and directions from the station: Pine tree, 6.25 meters N. 55 degrees E.; chestnut oak tree, 4.72 meters N. 24 degrees W.; and a pine tree, 1.98 meters S. 6 degrees W.

Britts Knob (Bullitt County, Ky., J. F. P., 1883).--About 3 miles southeast of Bardstown Junction, on the highest point of a knob about three-fourths mile south of Thomas Britt's house. The station is on land belonging to the Tilden brothers, who live at Belmont Furnace, and is marked by a pile of stone around the base of the signal pole.

Lebanon Junction Knob (Bullitt County, Ky., J. F. P., 1883).--About 1 mile from Lebanon Junction, near the road to Belmont Furnace, on the top of the most conspicuous knob in the vicinity, on land belonging to Mr. Thompson, who lives near the base of the hill. The station is a pole in the top of a hickory tree which is marked with a triangular blaze on the east side. Three other small hickory trees, each marked with a blaze, are at the following distances and directions from the station: 3.7 meters N. 45 degrees W, 2.9 meters S. 85 degrees W., and 4.6 meters S. 83 degrees E.

Below is an image insert from Google showing the locations. You can use the arrows in the upper left corner to move the image, or use the plus and minus signs to zoom in or out. You may also put the cursor on the map and drag the image to where you want it. Select the place in the list and its marker will change color; click it and a cloud window will open.

The Bullitt County History Museum, a service of the Bullitt County Genealogical Society, is located in the county courthouse at 300 South Buckman Street (Highway 61) in Shepherdsville, Kentucky. The museum, along with its research room, is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday; and from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Thursday. Admission is free. The museum, as part of the Bullitt County Genealogical Society, is a 501(c)3 tax exempt organization and is classified as a 509(a)2 public charity. Contributions and bequests are deductible under section 2055, 2106, or 2522 of the Internal Revenue Code. Page last modified: 17 Sep 2017 . Page URL: bullittcountyhistory.org/places/hiplaces.html